Thursday, September 27, 2012

The hall bath vanity.


This has been such a fun project for me, but I've come to a place where I need your help! Let me give you the back story first, because I think it's just hilarious. Remember that auction I went to back in June? I went hoping for a trinket to remember a friend by and returned at the end of the day with truckloads of goodies? Well, this was one of the treasures I captured:


I was so enamored with the auction process that I really did get caught up in the fun of it all and just began bidding on stuff I never would need. Then when the auctioneer (who was goin' bout a mile a minute...taking bids and callin' them outloud....any John Michael Montgomery fans out there?) got to this piece NO ONE even made a starting bid. It was an old record player piece. The front doors slide open (super cool) and the top has two lids that lift up (super duper cool). I thought it was dog ugly but when the auctioneer was getting irritated that NO ONE would even bid, I started to feel really sorry for it. Like it was a puppy at the pound and it just needed a good home. I shouted out $5 hoping that I would spark some interest and somebody else would take it home for six bucks. They didn't. I got to keep it. My first thought was, "my husband is gonna kill me."

I had NO IDEA what I was gonna do with the ugly thing. I mean look at this hardware...and that caning background. ew.
 But then it hit me. It was the PERFECT size for the vanity I had been hunting for in the kids' bathroom! It was long, and low and might just be amazing with a little creativity. I began brainstorming and before I even left the auction, I had a plan! I would remove the caning and add radiator metal. I would rough it up and paint it and make it look a lot older than the 70s era it really was. Some new hardware and topmount sink would really spruce it up. And the sides that lifted to store old records in? I would replace them with built-in baskets so the kids could store their toothbrushes et al in there!


*totally scored that record for free!*

So, I had a plan. And that was back in June. And I've been busy and it's been on my to-do list ever since. I finally got Brad to help me move it OUT of the dairy barn (that is stuffed to the rafters with our stuff) and into the gray barn so I could have some space to work and I bought the supplies and started on it last week. 

Step 1:
I had to demo it. Ripping out the speakers and the caning was harder than I thought. I finally took a sledgehammer to the front and got them out. The sides where the records and player were hidden (under the lift up flaps) was the hardest part to demo.



Step 2:
I took a sander to it. It was HIGH varnish and I could feel the chemicals settling in my lungs. All for the sake of DIY. :)


Step 3:
I painted it a really quirky mauve/lavender color. My vision was to have a really old crackled paint job of antique white with some eggplant purple coming through the cracks. I found this pint of paint on the mistint shelf for $3 and fell in love with it. Over 2 days I managed to get 2 coats on. I'm telling you, life is just not NEARLY as productive with kids. I would have done this entire project in an afternoon back in the good ol' days!


Step 4:
I thought they made a crackle-finish spray paint, but I wasn't able to find it at Home Depot. Instead I found a crackle kit at Ace Hardware here in Seminole. It was $25 which was hard to swallow but I kept thinking how I was only in it 8 bucks. Last Saturday, the Pokes were off, so we had a productive day at the farm. Desi wanted to help me so I figured, what the heck. He applied the crackle finish...both on the vanity...and his hands.




Step 5:
Then I painted on just a single coal of "bone white" paint. I started with a regular paintbrush which wasn't working too well, so I used a sponge brush like the crackle instructions called for. I didn't think it worked very well either. It came out super streaky, and the crackle didn't seem to be working at all. I kept going and hoped that time to dry would make it better.



Step 6:
I needed to do a little reconstruction to the piece. It needed a new floor and some prep for where the baskets would sit.
Feeling a little frustrated with the streakiness of the white, I set off to find a piece of wood for the bottom of the vanity. There was a weird piece of screen in the center of the floor of it which I assume was for sound purposes? Anyway, it needed a new floor and I was determined to use some power tools and do it myself. I needed a piece 59.5" long and 16" wide and as I wandered through the garage and back porch I came across a really nice piece of plywood that looked about right. As I measured I literally could NOT believe my eyes. It was 59.5x16!!! I squealed outloud! I ran it over to the barn and it fit PERFECTLY. Whoa.













Step 7:
The last step on the crackle paint instructions was to apply an antiquing agent which would basically just add a brownish hue to the paint. I was still unsure how I felt about the piece and thought, well, what the heck. I applied just a bit and focused mainly on the edges and the carved detail. I started to think, well, maybe I do like it...



I told my mama, it's like if I saw it in an antique store I would love it...but because I did it maybe I think it looks like a fake. I'm just not sure. The streaks are really obvious but it is supposed to look kinda junky.

I haven't put on the polyurethane topcoat yet because I need someone to just tell me what to do. Should I leave it? Or should I paint on more white and then sand some off? If I did that much less of the purple would show through...hmmmmm.

Once I decide I will install the baskets under the top lids and then glue on the radiator metal to the front 4 doors.



























So, what's your vote?

















3 comments:

  1. I think it looks good! But I don't get where the crackle part comes in at? Can't wait to see it with the screens and sink in it! Cheapest vanity ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks way better than the original!! could go either way, I think. super cool. super cool. Could you try another coat of white/sanding on a spot that won't show to see if you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! What a change. I like it the way it is - but your sister has a good idea. Try a little spot to see if you like one more coat.

    ReplyDelete