Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sink Decision

It seems every day now is one full of HUGE decisions. Something as simple as "rounded the edge of a countertop or keeping it square" quickly turns into a life-changing, right or wrong, what am I ever gonna do, full on despair if it isn't just how I want it but how do I want it decision. 

Am I over-reacting? Obviously. 

But this is how I feel. I want so badly to do this house right the first time. Am I gonna love the house? Of course? Is there gonna be stuff I wish had turned out differently? Most likely. Is it life or death? Heck no.

So why do I stress so much about these little decisions?

The sink is the perfect example. Thank you all for your votes. The majority of you definitely voted for the first one, the two basin white sink. And guess what? It didn't win. Here's why.

All in one afternoon of heart racing, blood pressure rising, back and forth, what ifs or why nots...it just wouldn't work. The yellow sink was 43 inches wide. The kitchen cabinetry was made FOR that sink so if anything smaller went in it looked puny and the cabinets looked weird. But to buy one that was 43" would be around a THOUSAND dollars. Plus, the countertops were going in THAT day and we didn't have time to go out shopping around. It was mind boggling.

So, I decided to go with the large one that wouldn't look puny and get it reglazed a nice shiiny white. Thankfully, I found this pic and it made me happy with my decision...



































I really like it. So, then we had to move on to the laundry room decision. The sink that I LOVED was a shallow, troughlike rectangular sink that Micca gave me from her old barn. It is awesome and it would have looked perfect. But, because it was old and from a barn the cast iron fittings on the bottom were broken off and not able to be fixed. Of course the plumber didn't let me know that until the DAY that they were putting in the countertops! So my choices? Find a sink in a matter of hours or use the 2 basin white one that we had on hand. But because it was bigger than the sink that was there, we would lose some drawer space (they would become fake ones.) Hmmmmmm. I went home and searched the internet for sinks that were in stock and nearby. There was a stainless steel undermount one that I liked but the kit they had for the concrete countertops didn't allow for undermounts. grrrrrr. I went ahead and chose the white one we had and they configured it in a way that I only had to lose one drawer.

No big deal now looking back, but in the moment, these were HUGE, OVERWHELMING decisions! Funny how that works!





2 comments:

  1. Its all gonna look great though! These first world problems can be tough though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part is always the decisions they need 'right now'! They will both be great. I think big sinks are always better.

    ReplyDelete