Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The brick backsplash

I would marry this backsplash if I could. I am so in love with it. 

Having a white brick backsplash was probably the very first thing I picked out for this house. I saw an add for white brick tile in my mom's House Beautiful magazine and was certain that I HAD to have it in my future dream home. I wasn't sure when I would ever have either, a new house or a dream house, but when I did by golly it was gonna have white brick in it somewhere.

Fast forward to January and we were contemplating remodeling this house. And the only thing I could think of was that white brick tile. When I looked up the product on the world wide web, I found out they didn't sell to the public and they didn't have a retailer in Oklahoma. Shocker. I could have ordered from an out of state retailer and with shipping costs (it's heavy brick, people) it was gonna be outrageous. So, I had to find a different way.

Easy enough. Every tile place you visit sells brick pavers. They are beautiful tiles made to look like bricks and would beautiful in ANY room. They come in a variety of styles and colors. I could see a wall being covered in them. Or a shower. Or even just your bathroom backsplash. They are so pretty. But every single person that I told that I was painting over them thought I was crazy.

But I never waivered. I picked out the Hickory style. The color didn't matter but I wanted one with lots of imperfections and rounded edges so it would look old and almost original. When it was installed every single person that saw it thought I should keep it raw and not paint it. Every one except my ma that is. But there was no way I was waivering. I had it in my head and I knew exactly what I wanted. When I walked into the kitchen and saw this, I started jumping up and down...

























It's exactly what I hoped for. Yes, it's a lot of white, but with the shiny gray countertops and the dark floor, I think it looks beautiful. Turns out, the guys started coming around too. Though they won't come right out and admit it, they have let me know in certain ways that they like it. For example, my stubborn hubbie says, "it looks good both ways and as long as you like it, I like it."




Here's a close up...

























And looking into the laundry room from the kitchen...





































So, even if you liked it unpainted better, don't tell me because I LOVE it!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! is this in the kitchen too or just the laundry room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's in the kitchen AND the laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE it painted white. Your kitchen is my dream kitchen. I have kitchen envy so badly, and those white bricks aren't helping :)

    ReplyDelete