Monday, October 22, 2012

Hinges

Throughout this process I have struggled with the thought of getting rid of stuff that is still usable. Sure it may be as ugly as sin, but to just toss it? It seems wasteful and irresponsible. The guys have learned to not throw anything out that may be of use and my garage is quickly filling up with things to list for FREE on Craigslist. Some of the stuff was easy to let go of. All the things that went to the junk sale was good because someone else was sure to need it or enjoy it. Ryan has taken several loads of metal goods to the scrap metal place and not only was it recycled but he got a few dollars out of it. Even the ugly stained glass windows in the bathrooms went home with Katie and Jenna and will surely be turned in to something beautiful again. I just hate throwing stuff in that dumpster and I'm gonna do my darndest to find stuff a new home.

These hinges are a prime example. They were an ugly brass color and COVERED in a very thick coat of grime and nicotine. I spent hours and hours soaking them in paint thinner and scrubbing the varnish off of them. It was nasty and stinky and I went through 100s of latex gloves trying to protect my skin from the chemicals that just ate right through them. 

But after the long process of cleaning them and the quick process of spray-painting and poly-ing them they look beautiful. I saved around $500 maybe more on hinges for all of our cabinetry and I kept something out of that dreadful dumpster.



No comments:

Post a Comment