Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pantry door

I originally wanted a screen door for the pantry. I thought it would be a cute place to add a little architectural flair and some fun color. Then after weeks of searching and talking to a couple of carpenters we discovered not only would it be near impossible to find an old one (the size of the door was an odd one) but it would be pretty expensive to have one made. Then Robbie made the excellent point of having three kids in and out of the screen door pantry and how many times a day I would hear it slam. Hmmmm. So instead I decided to go with a frosted glass door with a funky paint color on it. I'm not sure if it will still have the feel of the old screen door, but I'm hoping it adds a little interest.

I had no idea what color I wanted to do but while at Lowe's one day I took a peek at the mistints and found this awesome eggplant purple for 3 bucks. I was sold. I grabbed and went on my way not giving it another thought until last weekend when I was under strict orders from Robbie to get the door painted! He had primed it for me and I was excited. Until I went over to paint and saw that what I had picked up wasn't paint, but STAIN!

That would have actually looked super cool, but I had Robbie PRIME the thing first! Grrr. I took a deep breath and plunged ahead. It took several more coats than normal and took a looooooong time to dry but it eventually took hold and was a beautiful color.

It was super easy to paint because the protective film was still over the glass so I would just run over and glop a coat on and then hurry back home. You know, cause of the 3 kiddos I am raising. :) Don't worry, I left their daddy with them too.


I wanted the door to really be eggplant-y in color if that makes since so I bought a tiny can of ebony stain and rubbed that over the top to put a sort of black glaze over it. The pictures are terrible because it looks super streaky, but in real life it looks awesome!



























The guys accidentally got some white paint splatter on it and smeared some of the glaze off when they hung it, so it needs a bit of touching up but I think it looks pretty good.
























2 comments:

  1. cool! Now, you won't always have to have a super organized pantry like you would with a screen door =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happen to the Pantry Doors it look so messy better to do it again and make it perfect if you can but I like the color that you put it in.

    ReplyDelete