Sunday, February 5, 2012

Exterior - Before


As with any good home improvement, the most important part is the BEFORE photos! The next several entries will just be before pics of every aspect of the house. It will be vital for when our beautiful house is done and we can come back and look at these in disgust!

I plan on tracking as much of this process as I can, but I know there will be times when I forget. Heck, I already have! These "before pictures" are technically after we've done some work to the outside. That's right...these are after a days work with chainsaws. I'm telling you, it looked like a jungle. 

See the far right side of the house? That is what the far left looked like too before Brad got after it with a saw...
*That is Kathy's car. She lived with Ronnie to look after him and she still has not moved out.

Here is another example of a poor BEFORE photo. This huge oak tree had broken branches just hanging out of it. There were so many that were precariously hanging on the roof and it was so untrimmed that the home insurance company almost wouldn't renew the policy. It was bad. Plus, that lilac bush below was so dense with broken branches you couldn't even see through it. Brad has given it a quick clean-up but it will get MUCH more love soon.

Here's the lilac bush from the other side. This is such a pretty bush in the spring (and when it isn't taking over your yard) and was always my favorite plant at my grandma's house.

Here's a close up of the overgrowth along the front of the house...wait, is there a house back there?


Then as you approach the entry, if you can even find it.



Oh, there's the door. What is that on the glass? A poster?



Oh, that's just Tinkerbell. With a warning saying that this house is guarded by a watch fairy. Ok. I have mentioned that my uncle was somewhat eccentric, right?


Now let's walk around the side of the house...

I love, love, love that the house is flanked by these two HUGE trees. I do not love that there is enough brush to hide a wild life refuge. I've heard rustling in these bushes...and by rustling I mean, I believe there to be something the size of a coyote living in there. And it FREAKS. ME. OUT.

Needless to say, there will be LOTS AND LOTS of trimming.



The East Side, or shall we say, the side that faces town...


And on around back...
























Aaaaaahhhhh, the back porch. I have so many plans for this space. You can bet your bottom dollar they will involve ceiling fans and comfy chairs and wine, lots of wine.


























And the view up to the house from the back of the backyard...



























That lovely chain link fence will be removed as will those dead branches. I have plans for the columns, and the trim color, and the glass door. Oh the plans, I have plans galore.

And now I'm realizing I didn't take any before pics of the 300 trees in the backyard that need trimming. I'm telling you, it's a jungle out here.

My parents house is just off to the right there. About 100 steps, or a 3 minute gator ride. :)


2 comments:

  1. where are you guys going to live while you do all this work? commute back and forth? stay with papa shark?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just glad tinkerbell was included in this post...and Kathy's car

    ReplyDelete