Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hardware

With the original thought process of EVERYTHING MUST GO, we were on a rampage to do just that...and get rid of everything. 

But the more time we spend at the house, the more things we discover that might be worth keeping. 

Exhibit A:
These towel bars. These are super dooper heavy metal and very ornate. There are two short and one long and I think they might look pretty in the guest bath perhaps?

Exhibit B:





These switch plates and outlet covers are the best example! I originally thought these all were SO gaudy and SO ugly. But when I started removing the very first one on Saturday I realized they are SOLID metal. They are really heavy and of amazing quality and after I spent hours removing them they had grown on me. There are literally HUNDREDS of outlets and switches in the house...(Grandma always bragged that she had overdone it on the outlets because you just never know where you'll want to plug something in!) Even to replace them with cheap plastic ones would be a couple of hundred dollars but to replace them with anything similar (i.e. metal) would be at least $4 each and most are about $12-14 a piece! Meaning we could spend over $1,000 bucks just on outlet covers! What!?

Obviously the white ones need to have some paint stripper applied to remove the yellowed paint but aren't they so unique? Each room had it's own style of cover. The top was reserved for the kitchen but I think would be great in G.'s room! The next, more scrolly white ones were in the dining room and master. And the brass ones were everywhere else. I think I will repaint the white ones with white spray paint and use in the same rooms. The brass ones? I can't decide if I just clean 'em and leave 'em or spray paint them a more antique bronze, like this...



Brad thinks I've lost my mind. He says there is no way we should use them because he thinks they are just ugly. But I get the final say! What's your vote?


Exhibit C:





































These are the cute crystal globe knobs that Grandma had on all the cabinetry in the master and guest bathrooms. I stashed them away for a future project. Maybe they will return to the same cabinetry (the ones that stay anyway!) or maybe I put them on a dresser. We'll see! I just love the way they sparkle.

7 comments:

  1. spray some white and some "oil rubbed bronze". you can always change them later if you hate them

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep the light switch covers! my parents have mismatched covers on their light switches and in our next place, i plan to do the same. they will be a simple reminder in the house of your grandmother (not that the house itself isn't) and fun conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think keep the switch covers but maybe just buy outlet covers. You wont see those as much bc furniture will be in front but if youre just spray painting i guess it wouldnt be too hard to do them too! See how the towel racks look when the room is all done. Same for crystal knobs. Thats my 3 cents.....i get more than 2 because i have a degree in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KEEP THEM!! Use a primer, spray paint, and LOVE THEM. The bottom switchplate would fit in any kitchen. And the knobs could even go on a framed piece of plywood to make a jewelry holder for you or a hanging coat rack for genevieve! It'd be super cute on wood like the boys' headboard; like a striking contrast between rustic and prim and proper.

    I'm neither here nor there on the racks, but maybe you could use them on the side of the house for hanging plants or in the backyard to keep outdoor towels hanging conveniently within reach (for those fun summer days running through sprinklers)(or hanging magazines/books under a covered portion of your porch)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first impression is ugly. But if anyone can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, ie ugly to cute... it is you, Lauren. If you have the time it could be fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great hardware! they have awesome hardware spray paint - specifically designed for this purpose! - at home improvement stores. i know lowe's has it for sure in a pretty oil rubbed bronze.

    we have the same knobs in our house - they are on my vanity and our master bath cabinets. i LOVE them, they are so pretty and girly :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. keep them! also, i love the crystal globe knobs :)

    ReplyDelete