Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cabinets


Every single cabinet door in the whole house looks the same. You can find them in the master bath, the hallway built-in, the living room built-ins, the bar, the kitchen, the office, the task area, and the laundry room. They are stained, solid wood doors, that are super heavy and seem to be really nice. 

























But, I just can't decide if I like them.

I haven't been able to bring myself to calculate how much it would be to replace them all. But I will have to do that because we have a lot of cabinet doors. And those aren't cheap.

Although we are taking many of them out, we will still have cabinetry in the kitchen and laundry and master bath. Plus we are having new built-ins built in the living room, so we could have them re-use the same doors for consistency.

If we do keep them, we are definitely painting them. High-gloss white...that's what we want.

But here's why I don't know if I like them. I always kind of wanted some cabinets in my kitchen to be glass. And I just can't picture it with this style of cabinet. I mean, would it be super ugly to cut out the center arched panel and install glass on just a few? I think, yes. But I don't know. Maybe frosted glass? Hmmm.

Plus, my dream farmhouse kitchens always have that super simple block panel design and the routered arch look doesn't even come close to that style...

*******

So, do I blow the budget on all new perfectly farmhouse cabinet fronts? Or do I try for a few custom glass panels to appease my glass cabinet fantasy? Or do I just settle for painting them all and hope for the best?

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

7 comments:

  1. why not a little of everything? save some in some of the rooms, paint some in other rooms and replace them in some rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you put squares of siding* with a bit of moulding around them right on top of those awesome cabinets? I imagine that's not as expensive as replacing all of them, still allows you to get the look you want, and you know they'll all be a perfect fit?

    *probs not technically what you'd use, but you know what i mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a little of it all (yay debi)! make it work in some rooms by painting. i'd get a quote for kicks in the kitchen - having a kitchen you love would be great! also, check with local designers. one of my neighbors is GREAT at figuring out which to keep and which to replace, resulting in amazing kitchens that are VERY budget friendly. she uses ideas like leslie's with some inexpensive add-ons from places like ikea, and home-built ones some i'm sure brad could cook up for you. and changing up the knobs/handles may make it so you wouldn't even notice the arch! she is a stockist for annie sloan chalk paint - they seem to have people that know what they're doing. here's the link for those that carry the paint in ok - http://www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/North_American_Stockists.html - maybe you can do some research there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps, i am SO excited for you to be starting this journey!

    i want to do it again (and we're not even finished yet!)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a way to use the back side of the cabinet door as the front? esp if they are going to be painted? You would have to flip the hard ware and perhaps you could try doing a glass inset experiment on one door especially since you have extra doors. I realize the front side is beveled and may not sit correctly when hung but it might be worth a try on one door to see what happens. I also imagine that with an amazing color of paint and new fixtures that the center arch pattern of the wood would not be as dated looking. Try one and see. one cabinet door, one small can of paint and one set of hardware. I think the experimenting is the fun part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good call gramma bubbles: i wonder if you can do that? but you can totally mix and match throughout the house... like maybe different ones for kitchen since youll be there 90% of the time; and same ones in bathroom....

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you decide to keep them in the kitchen, but still ant the glass cab doors (I have some and love them) you could do frosted glass with a clear arch pattern to match the routed wood arch, or do clear with a frosted arch.

    ReplyDelete