Saturday, March 3, 2012

Bay Window

This is the big window that is on the front of the house in the dining room. Without the heavy blue dupioni silk drapery covering it, the entire house is so much brighter! 

I have the silliest predicament about this window. I looooooooong for a window seat to be built in right under it. Maybe even one that has storage in it. Cute pillows, a place to sit in the sun, a quiet spot away from the room with the TV. 
Sounds perfect, right?

But then as I was removing that tack strip last week-end I was in a meditative trance (out of necessity!) and I started to fret. As I sat thinking about my lovely window seat where I could lounge and read novels and sip iced tea, I began to panic because I can't figure out where to put the Christmas tree! 

Crazy? Yes. But serious.

Grandma always had hers in front of this window. It's the perfect spot! A huge window, facing the street. You can see the lights on the tree as you drive up in the dark. And with a window seat, a dining room table and a buffet, there is just no room for a tree here. It would have to go somewhere else.

When I brought it up to Brad he asked, "You are designing your house based on one month out of the year?" 

Well, YES! I love Christmas! I love Christmas at my Grandma's house! And I love a big tree in front of a big window on the front of the house! 

Am I crazy? (Don't answer that...)

So, I'm in a pickle...and I need some help.


In more ways than one, apparently! :)

9 comments:

  1. i'm crazy right there with you. i almost didn't want our perfect-in-every-other-way (once i got my hands on it) house because we can't do a tree by the window!

    thinking for you :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why cant you put the tree up next to the window seat? Youd still see it from the window and it would be a great place to stack presents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put the tree in the family room where you can see lights from the kitchen where you are so much of the time. Put lights on the trees /bushes out in front of the house that people will still see when driving by. Also you can redo your ceiling fixtures in the dining room area so that there is not a "chandelier " that somehow forces where the table goes. Instead design your room lighting so your dining table placement can be more flexible in the room for holiday time if you put a tree in there . Our house in St Helens had an outside outlet for Christmas lights with an indoor switch which was so nice on cold rainy nights - easy to turn Christmas lights on and then off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You aren't crazy. When we were house shopping that was one of my major concerns. I agree with Katie - build the window seat and just bump the tree right up to it. You might have to scootch your tale overa bit at Christmas to accommodate it, but at least then it's the best of all worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you build a movable window seat sectional? Like, in two pieces on lockable wheels with moulding on the bottom to hide the wheels from the front. That way you can have your window seat and it can be moved to the garage during the christmas tree season. Best of both worlds! Um...something like this, but more fitted to your window?

    Or two wingback chairs. I love a wingback chair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there is nothing wrong with feeling the Christmas vibe all year round! Maybe, Brad will be convinced once all the decorations and the revamp is done. And I must say that your windows definitely give you a good view of the street. You can even spot a person even a mile away! A large window like that needs some extra décor to maximize the space. Maybe a tree will look good beside the window. On lookers will have a good look of the tree and may wonder if it is already Christmas!

    -Keven Sumrell

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will definitely give a new meaning to the phrase, “Christmas in July,” when you are all done with the renovations. Haha. Kidding aside, I think putting a lounge or a nice seat by your bay windows is a good idea. You can spend a nice afternoon there while reading a good book, or just to pass the time away. It can also be a place where you can open your presents, Christmas or not!


    Norbert Floth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keven and Norbert are correct! You can have Christmas all year long, thanks to your bay windows. And I think this window is perfect for adornments because of its aesthetic value. You can put some Christmas style drapes and add some ornaments on the side. :D [Willene Fagen]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks glacier bay faucets reviews

    ReplyDelete