Monday, November 5, 2012

Floor vents

























Here's another example of something so simple that can turn into a huge life-changing decision and hours and hours on the computer.

As the floors were getting finished, it was time to replace the floor vents and Robbie put me on the mission. I first looked at the big box stores and they didn't have any oil-rubbed bronze in stock. And the ones they had online were ugly. And then I found a WHOLE bunch online at other sites and boy, were they expensive. I wanted something dark, because the floors are dark. Dark, but not brass or brown. But I also didn't want them to be very noticeable at all, so no weird designs or mega modern look. And oh yeah, I didn't type these into the contract either, so we were buying them. And oh yeah, our house is pretty big so we needed a LOT of them.

***NOTE: WHEN REMODELING YOUR HOME INCLUDE EVERYTHING IN THE CONTRACT...EVEN FLOOR VENTS...EVEN LIGHTBULBS...HECK EVEN WRITE IN WINDEX...otherwise, guess who's buying it? YOU...and you probably didn't budget for it.

So...I spent hours online trying to find some silly floor vents that were dark, and not ugly and not a million dollars a piece. It was just another thing that I never thought would be a hard decision and well, WAS!

Oh, and then when they arrived the guys thought I had ordered the wrong size because they didn't just slide in. I had a mini heart attack because that is always my reaction when something is wrong. I start pouring sweat from my armpits and my heart feels like it's gonna stop beating and then I fall to the floor in exasperation. But, thankfully, they were the right size. Our foundation had just sorta collapsed the vents when the concrete was poured so the guys have had to bang the heck out of them and kinda jackhammer the concrete just so to squeeze them in! I have no idea why the nasty old ones just slipped in and out, but these are much more snug.

Then, somehow even though Robbie and I did it together TWICE, we didn't count right and we missed two and are short 2 vents. So the two on the front of the window seat will have to be white because I can just pick those up at a big box store and be done with it and they are like 1/4 of the price and heck, maybe that's what I was thinking when I was counting and I'm not a crazy person that can't count gaping holes in the floor, but I'm gonna bet that I counted wrong because for the last 10 months I've turned crazy and do things like that all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment